Wednesday, March 6, 2013

To Kill A Mockingbird

   To Kill a Mockingbird--Harper Lee

Summary

 This book is about a little tom boy named Jean Louise who lives in a small town in Alabama shortly after the Civil War. Or wait, is this book about her growing up older brother, or about her lawyer father whom they call “Atticus”?  Is it maybe about Tom Robinson, their father’s Negro client or even their neighbor they’re not sure exists, Boo Radley? Really this book is about all of them even though it uses “Scout” (Jean Louise) for the mane character. When you begin this book you think it will just be about some children and a supposed haunted house that no one knows anything about. When you are done with this book you will know what it is really about; Prejudice. By looking through the eyes of innocent unprejudiced children you see the cruelty and unjustness towards blacks that slavery caused. When Atticus presents a very clear case for his falsely accused Negro client you are sure the jury will prove him innocent. It was so obvious. But when the jury steps back in the into the court room hours later and hands the ballots to the judge you hear the sickening word punctuated by ominous thud from the gravel over and over again,     “Guilty, Guilty, Guilty…Guilty…”

Con's
I can only think of one con for this book--a tiny bit of language. I thought it was used responsibly to make a point but I would have preferred it wasn't in there.

Pro's
(How do you list pro's for a book like this! )   The point of how stupid and awful prejudice is made so strongly and so well I can not explain it. This book also teaches good lessons about respecting parents even when they don't seem like they deserve it. To Kill a Mockingbird is an extremely well written and thought out book! We could all take a lesson in writing from Harper Lee.

This book has a powerful message and has become one of, if not my top, favorite. I challenge you to read it and come back and honestly say it was not one of the best books you have ever read. I give this book five stars.

Recommended for age 13 and older.

4 comments:

  1. This is also one of my favorite books, and I agree, it has a very powerful message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I need to read it someday...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love To Kill A Mockingbird:) To be honest, I wasn't really expecting to, but that was before I had any idea of the storyline. After I read it, I fell in love (I do that a lot with books) :D

    ReplyDelete